Share SBS w/Family or Friends

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Roy Jones Jr., Andrew Golota, Mike Mollo & DeMarcus Corley

Jones, Andrew Golota, “Merciless” Mike Mollo and DeMarcus “Chop Chop” Corley all performed a light workout and answered questions.

NEW YORK— Roy Jones Jr. worked the mitts and showed the blazing speed that made him the pound-for-pound best boxer on the planet for a decade during a media workout today at Kingsway Gym in New York featuring fighters from Saturday’s “Bring on the Titans” boxing event at Madison Square Garden and on HBO Pay-Per-View.

“Guess who’s back, Roy Jones Jr.,” Jones declared. “Ain’t nobody got the speed to handle me. Only Floyd Mayweather comes close to me and he’s still 10 miles an hour slower,” Jones quipped.

Jones will face Felix “Tito” Trinidad in the main event; the International Boxing Federation North American champion Golota will take on once-beaten World Boxing Association Fedelatin champion Mollo; and the former World Boxing Organization junior welterweight champion Corley will take on undefeated 20-year-old phenom Devon Alexander “The Great” to kick off pay-per-view telecast.

Roy Jones Jr. “The best birthday present for me would be a knock out on Saturday night. Tito’s fighting the toughest fight of his career. He picked me to get up for this fight. He knows I’m a guy who normally beats him so he knows what type of shape he’s got to get in to step into the ring with me. I understand that.
“Ain’t nobody got the speed to handle me. Only Floyd Mayweather comes close to me and he’s still 10 miles an hour slower. I feel good. Now is just the waiting. You fight the fight a bunch of times in your head and I think of different ways to do it. I have several options and every night I think of a different option.

Andrew Golota “Everybody is talking about Mollo’s speed and his offensive abilities. Why isn’t anybody talking about his defense? I guess we’ll know more after the first round. It shouldn’t go the distance. I can’t see it going the distance.
“He says he wants to start fast and be aggressive. I feel the same. It’s better for me because now I know what he is going to try to do. Mollo’s a good fighter and I know he wants to win. How is he going to win? Be there to watch me.
“Bernard Hopkins is my role model. I’m not too old yet. I stay in shape. I even got a hair cut to be more aerodynamic. I feel much lighter!”
Andrew Golota


Mike Mollo: “Golota’s an old fighter. He’s been great and I respect him. He’s fought in some tremendous fights that have slipped away from him for whatever reason.
“I feel like I’m younger and faster and should win the fight. Now I need to get in the ring to prove I’m ready to move to the next level. I fear no one. I have butterflies like I should but no fear.
“I’ve been to the Garden before for a basketball game but this will be my first fight there.”

DeMarcus Corley: “It’s do or die for me right now. I’m fighting on one leg. I’m like a dog with a broken leg. If I lose this one I’m out. I can’t call Don King and ask for another match if I lose another fight. “If I knock this kid Devon Alexander out it would help me. Just getting past him is not enough. I need to knock him out. He and his team have shown me a lot of respect. I appreciate that. After the stare down at the press conference, I told him to bring his “A” game. He asked for me. You gotta be careful what you ask for because you might get it.”
DeMarcus Corley (L) and Yano

No comments: