Share SBS w/Family or Friends

Thursday, March 6, 2008

Damage control for hungry Manfredo vs. Benfield “Rumble at the River,” March 14 at Twin River Event Center, RI

PROVIDENCE– World super middleweight challenger “The Pride of Providence” Peter Manfredo, Jr. (28-5, 13 KOs) is hungry again and planning to do some damage to Shane “The Irish Hitman” Benfield (17-1, 9 KOs) on March 14 in their 10-round main event, headlining “Rumble at the River,” part of “The Budweiser Night at the Fights,” at Twin River Events Center in Lincoln, Rhode Island.


Vinny Paz and “Irish” Micky Ward are serving as honorary captains of Team Italy and Team Ireland, respectively, for the Italian-Irish themed “Rumble at the River” pro boxing show, promoted by Jimmy Burchfield’s Classic Entertainment and Sports, Inc., in association with Twin River, Budweiser and Tournament of Contenders.

Manfredo, 27, has starred on The Contender I reality television show, fought for the world title, and earned a healthy living in boxing. But something was missing after his loss by controversial stoppage to Joe Calzaghe for the world championship in Wales. “I’m hungry again,” Manfredo explained. “I didn’t really care about boxing last year. The (Jeff) Lacy fight woke me up. I realized I have to be mean, not trying to go in the ring to really hurt my opponent, but to do some damage. That’s what I plan to do against Benfield – take him out – and show everybody that’s who I really am. I love what I do. I don’t love the behind the scenes part of boxing, but in the real world it’s tough to take out your frustrations like you can in the ring. I’m the boss in the ring. We have the toughest job in the world; there are no guarantees in boxing, but I’m a fighter.

“I’d like to go back down to 160 (pounds) because I feel I’m too small fighting some of these guys. It’s not that I can’t fight at super middleweight, but I want to be the best I can, and I think that’s at middleweight. I only plan on boxing until I’m 30, so I have three years left to make one last run at aworld title. Let’s see how I do against guys my size. I’m not sure when I’ll be fighting at 160. I’m thinking maybe my next fight will be at 165. Benfield’s a big guy who fought as a cruiserweight.”

Since graduating from his role in The Contender I, Manfredo’s fought in Wales, Las Vegas and Los Angeles, but he enjoys fighting at home. “It’s the best,” Peter said about fighting in Rhode Island. “There’s no place like home. It’s all about being comfortable in your surroundings. At home, I have my family and friends, sleep in my own bed, eat food I like…..everything is comfortable. One of the reason’s Joe Calzaghe has been so successful is because all of his fights have been at home.”

Three-time world champion Jaime “The Hurricane” Clampitt (18-4-1, 7 KOs), fighting out of Cranston (RI) defends her IWBF lightweight crown against GBU junior welterweight title-holder Belinda “Brown Sugar” Larcuente (23-21-3, 9 KOs) in the 10-round co-feature. Twenty-one of Larcuente’s last 22 bouts, dating back nearly five years, have been against world champions, including 10 world title fights.

Mitch Matlock, Belinda “Brown Sugar” Larcuente and Melissa Hernandez


Stoughton (MA) cruiserweight Chris McInerney (9-1-1, 6 KOs) squares-off again versus former New England title-holder Tim “The Hammer” Flamos (19-4-1, 7 KOs), of Brockton, in a six-round rematch of a fight McInerney won by sixth round TKO last December.

Undefeated Russian middleweight Andre Nevsky (3-0, 3 KOs), of Worcester (MA), meets Eric Pinarreta (2-1, 2 KOs), of New Bedford (MA), in a four-round match. A pair of popular power-punchers, USBA No. 4 super middleweight Joey “KO Kid” Spina (20-1-1, 15 KOs), of Providence, and Lowell (MA) light heavyweight “Irish” Joey McCreedy (6-1, 4 KOs), are also on the undercard.

Undefeated Lynn (MA) flyweight Isander Beauchamp (3-0) faces Gabriel Cruz (2-1), while Providence junior welterweight Diego Pereira makes his pro debut. All fights and fighters are subject to change.

Manfredo, Spina, Flamos and Pinarreta are on Paz’ Team Italy; Benfield, Clampitt, McInerney and McCreedy are captained by Ward on Team Ireland.

Tickets for “Rumble at the River” are priced at $35.00 (ADA stage seating only), $40.00, $50.00, (Bronze), $75.00 (Silver), $100.00 (Gold) and $150.00 (Jimmy’s Platinum Club) and may be purchased by calling CES (401.724.2253/2254), going on line at http://www.cesboxing.com/ or http://www.twinriver.com/, at the Twin River Event Center (100 Twin River Road, Lincoln, RI), or any TicketMaster location. Contact CES (401.724.2253/2254/www.cesboxing.com) or Twin River Events Center (877.82.RIVER/ http://www.twinriver.com/) for more information. Doors open at 6 PM/ET, first bout at 7 PM/ET.(Twin River has waived its 18+ rule for “Rumble at the River.” Anybody under the age of 18 must be accompanied at all times by an adult and they must enter through the West entrance.) -CES-

CONTACT: Bob Trieger, Full Court Press

No comments: