Share SBS w/Family or Friends

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

McCloskey out to prove he has the X Factor against Lynes

Paul McCloskey is determined to prove he has the X Factor by taking the British Light Welterweight title on Friday night in Dagenham. McCloskey, a cousin of X Factor semi finalist Eoghan Quigg has been handed a surprise shot at the title following the withdrawal of David Barnes over the weekend. The champion’s withdrawal handed McCloskey the opportunity to face former European champ Lynes for the vacant title and he didn’t need to be asked twice.

The Dungiven southpaw was scheduled to fight in an 8 round contest on the undercard of the Matchroom Sports promotion which is being televised live by Sky Sports. Despite the late promotion to headline status McCloskey says he’s more than ready for twelve hard championship rounds with Lynes. “It’s a chance that has come a bit out of the blue but it’s one I’m ready for”, declared the undefeated 29-year-old. “I’ve sparred over 100 rounds and my weight is perfect. I always give it 100% in training for each and every fight so I’m in excellent shape.

“To be honest I’ve felt for a long time that I’m ready for these kind of fights. I feel I’m at my peak as an athlete so from that point of view the timing of this has been perfect. At the start of the year I set a goal for myself of ending the year as either British or European champion so this is my chance to make that happen.”

Lynes will have home advantage for the bout at the Goresbrook Leisure Centre and the Hornchurch native will be confident of reclaiming the British title he vacated last year. McCloskey though has other ideas and having watching Lynes defend his European title from ringside earlier this year he didn’t see too much to worry him. “I watched Colin outpoint Juho Tolppola back in January and he’s a decent fighter, he’s proved he’s above British level having won the European title but I believe I’m the better fighter and am very confident of beating him.

“I've also just watched his European title defeat to Gianluca Branco and while he’s technically very good I think he probably left the title behind him in Italy because if he’d been a bit more adventurous I believe he’d have beaten Branco. I’m not sure how he’ll feel about fighting me, he was preparing to fight a southpaw anyway with Barnes so maybe the change won’t affect him too much. I’m sure the bookies will probably have him favourite and if he’s underestimating me then that’s fine as well.

"I’ve answered every question asked of me in my pro career to date and this is just another test I have to pass. The fact that the fight will be in his own back garden only makes it all the more special. I’m buzzing about this opportunity, I believe everything happens for a reason and I’m confident of delivering the goods on Friday night."

The John Breen trained stylist improved his perfect record to 17 straight wins this year courtesy of wins over Mexican dangerman, Manuel Garnica, former World Champ, Cesar Bazan and leading British contender Nigel Wright. His promoter Brian Peters believes he’s ready to add the scalp of Lynes to that list on Friday night. “Paul has been pretty much flawless to date in his pro career and I believe he’s capable of winning British, European and World titles. He’s been something of a well kept secret from British fight fans until now but I think they’ll all find out just how good he is on Friday night.”

Tickets for Friday night's fight cost £30 (unreserved) and £50 (ringside) and are available by calling Matchroom Sport on 01277 359900.

See you at the Fights and Thanks for your time.

Starlite Boxing's Sweetscience The Video Channel Online http://www.youtube.com/ELEmpress1

EL Boxing Empress Keisha Morrisey's Myspace http://www.myspace.com/Keishadivine

Honorable Keisha Morrisey http://www.keishamorrisey.com

©®™ 2007, 2008 All photos by "EL Boxing Empress" Keisha Morrisey- Empire Morrisey Photo-Studios, for Bloodline Boxing Communications Entertainment and Starlite Boxing's Sweetscience Magnews-Online Publication all rights reserved

No comments: