Share SBS w/Family or Friends

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Hot N.E. prospect Danny O’Connor Ready for 6, heading to 135

FRAMINGHAM, Mass.– With six pro fights under his belt since turning pro last September for Seminole Warriors Boxing, unbeaten prospect Danny O’Connor is now ready to move up to 6-round bouts and preparing to go down to the lightweight division.

2004 U.S. Olympic Team alternate O’Connor (6-0, 2 KOs) is coming off an impressive win by 4-round decision against 22-fight veteran Travis Hartman (9-12-1, 7 KOs) last Saturday night on the Froch-Taylor undercard on Showtime at MGM Grand Foxwoods in Ledyard, Connecticut.

O’Connor twice floored Hartman, who had been in against Cesar Chavez, Jr., en route to his sixth victory by judges’ scores of 40-34 three times. “I’m really starting to feel like a professional boxer,” O’Connor said. “I’m comfortable with everything – what I eat the day of the fight, how to prepare in the locker room – and I was very relaxed in the ring. I’m a perfectionist and there must be 100 things I think I could have done better, but other than a few minor things, I was happy with my performance. I still think I could have come quicker off my defense like I usually do and used a few more angles. But I do think it was my best fight as a pro.

“I’m usually amped-up in a fight but when I knocked down Hartman, instead of rushing, I looked to Dave in my corner and was patient. I loved fighting on a big card like that. I could tell it was different from the weigh in with Froch having such a big cheering section. There was a Showtime environment. I wasn’t nervous, more excited, because I wanted to put on a good show for the Showtime people and fans watching that hadn’t seem me fight before. I think I’m ready for my first 6-rounder and over the course of time I’ll get down to 135. My next fight I’ll probably weigh 138-139. I just have to concentrate on my good diet and we’ll see how long it’ll take for me to fight strong at 135. Right now, it’s just one fight at a time.”

The 23-year-old O’Connor, who defeated 2008 Olympic Gold medalist Felix Diaz a year ago in a USA-Dominican Republic dual meet, hopes to be fighting again in June.

“I thought Danny looked real sharp and very relaxed in his fight,” head trainer and co-manager (with Rob Valle) David Keefe added. “He’s fought a lot of rounds (19) in his six pro fights and we believe he’s ready to step-up to fight 6-rounders.”

For more information about Danny O’Connor go online to www.dannyoconnorboxing.com.

See you at the Fights.
Thanks for your time.

Starlite Boxing's Sweetscience The Video Channel Online http://www.youtube.com/ELEmpress1

EL Boxing Empress Keisha Morrisey's Myspace http://www.myspace.com/Keishadivine

Honorable Keisha Morrisey http://www.keishamorrisey.com

©®™2007, 2008 All rights reserved

No comments: